Monday, November 26, 2007

We're Back!!!!

I am happy to report that we are all safely home after our respective vacations.

The humans are thoroughly Disneyed-out after a day in Disneyworld and seven days on the Disney Cruise, which is non-stop, 24/7 partying with Princesses and Pirates, Minnie and Mickey, Lilo and Lion King and the incessant encouragement to “Wish Upon a Star” and Believe That Your Dreams Can Come True. I walked off the ship all inspired with new hope for World Peace, losing ten pounds, an immaculate house and writing a book that makes the NY Times Bestseller list!

Dog had a very different vacation—yet much more suited to his peculiarities. He spent his ten days being pampered and petted and fed chicken treats and learning new tricks and going on Three Walks a Day!

I worry when I leave him. I wouldn’t think of leaving him in a kennel (and I know there are very fine kennels and for certain dogs they are great, but not for Sunny and his personality and the life he is accustomed to). But beyond that I am also very picky about who I leave him with. I will only leave him with a family with kids because he loves people so much and I want him to feel at home and loved and to have lots of interaction. Luckily we have good, kind, dog-loving friends who have been more than happy to host a Sunny vacation.

I knew Dog would be more than fine when I called the morning after we left and talked to my friend, Cameron, who was watching him for us. She recounted his first night:

As I had instructed, she put his doggy bed next to her bed and urged him to go to sleep. “BEDTIME!” That’s one of the few commands he knows. But Dog was too smart for that. He sensed an opportunity, vulnerability.

Dog strolled over to her side of the bed and sat down and emitted the teeny-tiniest whimper. Almost imperceptible to the human ear, except for mothers who are attuned to listening for their babies in the middle of the night. A whimper that was pleading, heartfelt and sad, yet not too bold or irritating or whiny. A cry that said, “I don’t want to be too much trouble, but I’m lonely and confused. I’ve been abandoned. Won’t you please help me?”

And my dear, sweet friend, who is a natural nurturer and who has a heart made of marshmallow crème, barely hesitated before she acquiesced, “Oh, come on. Up on the bed.”

I must admit a tad of jealously. I am gone not even 24 hours and he’s jumping into bed with another woman! Love the one you’re with, I guess.

Alas, those sleeping arrangements were a one-night stand. In the morning, when my friend’s husband tried to kiss her Good Morning, Dog jumped between them and growled, protecting his new woman. No more sleeping with the grown-ups.

The next night, and every night after that, my friend’s twin daughters hosted a campout on the floor with Sunny happily snuggled on the sleeping bag in between those two little warm bodies.

Love the one you’re with.

No comments: