Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Story of Dog (Continued)

When my husband told a friend that he wanted to get a dog so that he wouldn’t be last in line for my affections in the family, his insightful pal (a father of four) joked, “What doesn’t make you think you’ll be below the dog?”

At the time we all got a good laugh out of the idea, but now it might not seem so funny…

First, we need to understand my personality (not an easy thing to do under any circumstances). I am some kind of weird mix between a Type-A Overachiever and an Earth-Mother Nurturer. I’m not sure exactly what crazy combination of genetics or childhood influences created this unholy alliance of opposites, but there it is, and it is undeniable.

Until I had my first child, I was pretty much exclusively focusing on the Type-A career. I sold software, traveled a bazillion miles a year, worked 80+ hours a week, made a bunch of money and would do practically anything that wasn’t illegal, immoral or fattening to Get the Sale.

Then my daughter was born and that pesky Earth Mother side emerged. I fought it for a time, (you can read more of my story here) (I can't get this link to work exactly, but click and then click on "My Story") but, in the end, the Nurturer won.

In the twelve and a half years since my daughter was born, balancing my two sides has been difficult and precarious, but I know in the very deepest part of my heart that now that she has surfaced, the Nurturer MUST have a presence.

So, after an intense decade-plus of raising kids, with businesses, writing, and other pursuits falling along the side, when my youngest started first grade, it was somewhat of a turning point.

So many possibilities! Finally, a whole six and a half hours a day, uninterrupted by changing diapers, cajoling naps, or demands to read The Hungry Caterpillar or play Hi-Ho Cherry-O!

I could work out and get that post-partum body in shape (ok, in the circles I run in six years is still considered post-partum eligible). I could finally clean out my closets. I could even focus on my blossoming writing career.

Instead, what did I find myself doing with that six and a half hours in the fall of my son’s year of first grade? Searching the Internet for puppies.

The kids wanted a dog, but I needed a dog. After so many years of giving up my self and my ego and my ambitions to the higher purpose of giving myself over to the all-encompassing job of raising kids, I needed a soft landing. I needed another being who needed me, but maybe not so much as a new baby. A being who could help me balance my opposites inklings and who would fulfill my need to nurture, yet give me a little more space.

So, the search began…

To be continued…

2 comments:

Maithri said...

Sunny,

Its so great reading about your mom and family. They all sound so very cool. Must be great having such a versatile mom.

I am trying to get some T-shirts printed (and some assorted dalai paraphanalia - key rings, dalai dog incense holders/ windchimes - for the new age audeince etc etc). Its a tough life this groupie business - but someones gotta to do it.

Love and hugs, Maithri.

Kathy Cordova said...

Oh, I especially like the idea of wind chimes!

Do you think we could set up an Internet retail site dealing in chicken treat currency?

I'll have my people get in touch with your people...