Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!


In keeping with the fine tradition of corny Valentine’s Day poems, I humbly offer my Ode to Dog…

Dear God, Universe, Big Labrador in the Sky,
Thanks for sending me what I did not know I needed…

I asked you for a cuddly dog
When my youngest started school.
I wanted a purse puppy
An accessory to be cool.

A dog to give me love
And lick me on the face.
Always glad to see me
Yet give me lots of space.

But when we saw our puppy,
The way he played, what fun!
He made us laugh; he charmed us,
We knew he was the one.

I try to tempt him on my lap
For a peaceful little snooze.
He grabs my slipper, playing keep away.
He’s built more to amuse.

Now when he takes me for a walk
Every day I pray,
Thank God you didn’t listen,
It’s much more fun to play!


Dog and me in a rare moment in which he tolerates my cuddling.

Wishing you all a playful Valentine’s Day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

xnlkvnidear kathy & dog---thank you for the happy valentine's poem---what greater love to give than acceptance of ourselves and others(incl. dog) as we are. love, grandma

SHE said...

love this picture too! some wonderful combination of elegance and preciousness..

and to have any person, any pet, any sight or sound, inspire poetry..

it is a win/win valentines gift

much love, ~s.

Maithri said...

Such a tender photograph and words...

Big love to you Kathy and sunny,

M