Monday, October 29, 2007

Sunny Day

By Guest Blogger, The Dog Cuddler

"Not right now. Not right now! Bedtime baby, bedtime!" my wife commands Sunny.

She is hoping to stall our fluffy little canine alarm clock who is awake at 6:15 am and relentlessly pawing at the side of the bed. It works. Briefly. Like hitting the snooze button.

We thought getting a dog would have lots of the benefits of having another baby, but without so much work. We didn’t figure on the pre-dawn awakenings.

But, unlike a baby who learns to sleep in, I have my doubts about Dog.
And this causes me to ponder the age-old question: Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

Don't get me wrong. There's no turning back for Sunny. It's me that has to change.

I've never been an early morning person and now it has been forced upon me - again. It conjures up memories of my early morning paper route many years ago. Back then, I had $51 a month as motivation. Now, I need a daily reward and payment has to be up-front!

For those of you with your mind in the gutter, of course I'm referring to Peet's coffee.

So, I jump out of bed with Peet's on my mind and start another "Sunny Day.”
With almost two hours to go until the kids need a ride to school, there is ample time to waste.

I read the paper, surf the web, get ready for work, and play fetch with Sunny.
My wife fixes breakfast for Sunny and sometimes for me, too. As the coffee reaches its full effect, I gather the kids up and off we go to school.

On the way out the door, I glance over at Sunny to say goodbye. But, he is asleep on his back with paws folded and legs up in the air.



Now, that is what I call a Sunny Day.

4 comments:

SHE said...

i'm caught up now, having read every sweet, funny, tender, post

it's a good time to be a dog in this town..

we have the parade, the mobile grooming stations, two or three dog bakeries and - hint/hint - doggie clothing boutiques too

noticed sunny likes to run around naked....

i understand. -but with all the cute halloween costumes and the cold night air...

"to new dogs, old tricks and fresh treats!"

-fun blog/thanks ~s.

Cameron said...

Love the guest blog entry. So, will The Dalai Dog be going Trick-or-Treating? Inquiring residents (and fans of The Dog)want to know...

Kathy Cordova said...

She, It's a good time to be a dog indeed! Especially in our house!

Yes, Sunny likes to go au naturel. We tried to get a costume on him last year, but he just wanted to eat it.

Cam, Check in tomorrow...

Anonymous said...

a dog can definitely bring out the warm and fuzzy in every human being--i was touched by the story of the wounded, very depressed iraq vet who named a blind, therapy dog given to him as the hope for his future and the cure of his depression----salud!!!! of course, i always knew about that warm and fuzzy in jeff because i am the mom----